The Castle has numerous exhibits on display throughout the Museum that help tell the story of this incredible community. The Historic Plank Road display features three-inch-thick pine planks that were found by construction crews under East Genesee in downtown Saginaw in April 2010. The planks were found at various depths, but are believed to be connected to the historic plank road built in the 1850s by Saginaw founder Norman Little. The road ran from Saginaw to Flint and was built when towns and cities all over Michigan were celebrating opening plank roads. The craze did not last long as the roads, which were operated under a toll system, were not making a profit. By 1900 only 23 of the 202 plank roads were in operation.
The Huckster Wagon tells the story of merchants selling their wares from horse-drawn wagons in Saginaw during the early 20th century. The merchants had organized routes through neighborhoods bringing fresh produce and other merchandise to residents.
Made in Saginaw focuses on companies who were at the forefront of Saginaw’s transition from a lumbering capital to a manufacturing economy. Made in Saginaw demonstrates the scope of ingenuity and entrepreneurship of this region. Some of the items on display include a Sonora cabinet, an A.T. Farrell bean sorter, and items from the Saginaw Paving Brick Company and the Saginaw Plate Glass Company.
Other exhibits include Myer Brothers Jewelry Store, the Post Office, and Lady Justice.